On September 9, 2015, US Surgeon General VADM Vivek H. Murthy, M.D., M.B.A., announced his national Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities. This declaration addresses a number of major health issues facing our country today. Imagine the dramatic impact we can have if the entire medical community comes together to promote walking and physical activity with patients all over the country. Read the executive summary.
We want to know what YOUR COMPANY is doing to promote walking! Complete this short, anonymous survey to add your information to our data collection!
Why Walking and Walkable Communities
- Americans are not sufficiently active to reduce chronic disease and improve health
- Walking is a fun, easy and inexpensive way to be physically active, improve health and build community
- Access to safe and convenient places to walk and exercise, and a culture that supports walking where we live, learn, work and play
What Can You Do Now?
- Commit to supporting the call to action
- Talk with patients & clients about the benefits of walking and physical activity, and make it a part of their treatment plans
- Be an advocate for physical activity, walking and walkable communities
Download the Step It Up! Guide to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities